ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT :
- There is a huge plantation of trees within the college campus, which is properly maintained. In case of felling of old trees for purposes of fuel and making furniture, new plantations are regularly made.
- A park has been made within the college campus by the Department of Forest, Government of West Bengal, and is maintained by the college authority.
- Apart from flower gardens, the Department of Botany maintains several rare and medicinal plants and a greenhouse.
Energy conservation –
- The college makes extensive use of CFL lights.
- There is proper vigilance, including centrally controlled switching system, to minimize the misuse and wastage of electricity.
- The college has generators and inverters of different capacities to supply need based power requirement in case of power cut to control unnecessary wastage of fuel.
- While constructing the buildings, the college authority takes care so as to facilitate adequate natural illumination and ventilation of each room to save energy.
Use of renewable energy –
- The college uses solar power for pumping underground water, used for sanitation and drinking purpose, and for partly supporting power supply in the office.
Water harvesting –
- The college stores rain water in the ponds within it campus, which meets the requirement of water for maintaining the plantations and gardens of the college and also provides water to some villagers with cultivable land in the vicinity of the college for irrigation in summer.
Waste management –
- Non-hazardous solid waste: The solid waste generated is initially gathered and segregated at source. The saleable waste is given out to the recyclers; the biodegradable waste is dumped in the composting pit and treated by the Science departments to generate bio fertilizer that is used for plantation; non-biodegradable and non-saleable waste that is generated in small amount is dumped in a separate pit.
- Hazardous waste: Separate safe pits are maintained for disposal of e-waste and chemical wastes.
- Waste water management: There is proper drainage system and safety tanks for waste water management.
Efforts for Carbon Minimization –
- The college does not allow any vehicle inside the college campus.
- The extensive plantation within the campus puts a check on the unavoidable emission of carbon dioxide due to cooking and occasional use of generators.
Green Audit –
- The college has an internal Green Audit Committee that regularly monitors the greenness and cleanliness of the college campus.
- The Committee is responsible for maintaining the green campus with plantations including rare medicinal plants and ponds, facilitating waste management and taking measures for energy conservation. The Committee tries to create environmental awareness among students by involving the NSS and the hostel boarders in its activities.
- The Committee organizes seminars on environmental awareness and sustainable development and encourages both students and local community for environmental conservation of the Sundarbans.
- Recently the Committee has introduced a mechanism for internal control over greenness and cleanliness of the college campus and conducting annual Green Audit.